Categories

Sunday, June 8, 2014

JET: A Life Changing Experience

Om Asmad Gurubho Namaha!
Jai Srimannarayana!

Born in India, but brought up in America, my life has been a mix of two very different cultures. It is easy to forget our roots and jump in with everyone else because we moved to a new country, but I think that one should be true to their roots as well as embrace the new culture with open arms. With the help of my parents, family, friends, teachers, and Acharya, I was able to have a healthy American life while still being a true Indian. This assimilation became easier with the help of three programs in particular: PRAJNA, JET USA (Jeeyar Educational Trust USA), and VT SEVA (Volunteering Together for Seva (Service)).

​Through PRAJNA, I learnt a lot about Vedic culture. We are taught Telugu in PRAJNA which lets us better communicate with friends and family in India, letting us uphold relationships which are a major part of Indian culture. In America, I see that many families are broken up due to various obstacles but through PRAJNA, I was taught that nothing should come in the way of relationships. That has improved my life tremendously. In PRAJNA, we are also taught the reason behind each festival and why we do certain things. I am grateful for this because I actually understand my culture better. Knowing why we do something and learning the importance of it entices people to remain true to their culture. PRAJNA also bestows the knowledge of slokas and more importantly, their meanings. When one knows the significance of chanting a sloka and is aware of the power it has, one will be more likely to repeat the sloka and gain benefit from it. Clearly, PRAJNA has taught me many things; some easily explainable with words, and others you just have to experience yourself. PRAJNA makes everyone feel like they are a kid in a candy store. Boxes of sweet knowledge are right there, easy to reach, and as soon as one box is over, you know there are plenty more to take its spot! 

​JET USA conducts many events and being a part of that enabled me to learn even more about our culture. These events consist of every festival that you could imagine celebrating from Goda Ranganatha Kalyanam all the way to Holi. Each event/pooja is done by an exceptional pundit very religiously and it brings us back to our spiritual roots.  Is there anything greater than performing the Lord’s marriage yourself? Another thing amazing about JET is that once you join, you are part of the JET family. My dad and his friend started the JET chapter in Tampa, FL and everyone there in the JET community is family to me now. It is great to know that although you might be living away from your family in India, your family of Bhagavad Bhandhus are always there for you. And it is not just your chapter where you have JET family, but across the nation and around the world! I remember when we moved to California, I thought I wouldn’t have many friends since I just moved, but as soon as we entered a JET California chapter, we were part of the family. Furthermore, it is a fact that performing any religious activity in a large group is far better than performing it yourself and the JET community enables everyone to do just that. JET events are also the place where people can exchange knowledge to improve the lives of everyone. Many JET events include the presence of our Achrya his holiness Sri Sri Sri Tridandi Srimannarayana Ramanuja Chinna Jeeyar Swamiji, who always bestows us with a tremendous amount of knowledge that we can always put into action to benefit ourselves and others. I can guarantee you that once you leave from any JET event; you will have learnt something new. JET USA taught me that you have to strive to respect everyone's beliefs, no matter what nationality and no matter what culture. JET has taught me many things and it is bound to teach me more. I like to think of it as the fuel to the never ending fire in every person to be true to their culture and samskaram. And although the thirst for knowledge can never be quenched, JET can keep you hydrated for a pretty long time.

​Through VT SEVA, I learnt that regardless of whom you are and what your background is, you are a citizen of the world and nobody can take that away from you. It taught me to help anyone and everyone in need. I learnt that you should be thankful for what you have and to make the best use of what you are given, and try to help others as well. Through VT SEVA I learnt that you don’t need much to be content because happiness comes when you share something, no matter how miniscule, with others.  One thing I learnt through VT SEVA is that one should always be energetic and jump at every opportunity to help others; a core human value. At VT SEVA we are taught to respect the sense of community highly and by being a part of a large community and by helping out as much as possible, I came to understand what community truly is. Volunteering through VT SEVA will surely change the perspective you have on life and maybe even help you lead a more content life as it has done for me.

​The things I learnt from PRAJNA enabled me to assimilate with American culture easier because I was taught that knowledge without action is a waste. Putting this concept into action, I achieved many leadership roles in my school and community and so much more. JET taught me that there is nothing better than the sense of community. Using this, I built strong ties with my American and Indian communities which led me to be a part of shaping the country in which I am living as well as the country that I was born in. The things I learnt from VT SEVA impact almost every aspect of my life because I was taught to keep my eye open for any opportunity to be of assistance. Through the knowledge I gained from VT SEVA, PRAJNA, and JET, I now understand that although life seems very complex, it can be broken down into simple pieces that can easily be deciphered. Clearly, each one of these programs has had their own impact on my life and has helped me mix American and Indian cultures in a healthy manner. I sincerely hope that everyone has a chance to be a part of at least one of these programs because I know firsthand that they will change your life.


Jai Srimannarayana!

No comments:

Post a Comment